Saturday, January 14, 2006

Melungeon breed standards:

So, I was watching the AKC Dog championships on Animal Planet with Hamdy the other day and you know how they have all these characteristics for each breed that are supposed to show it is really pure, beautiful, etc.? Funny things like "The neck is strong and muscular, clean-cut and relatively long, proportionate in size to the head and without loose folds of skin." and "if dog bites judge, IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED"
Well, in my twisted little mind I started thinking about what if they had breed characteristics for human families and had shows to determine whether persons were well-bred, pure, etc. (oh, I forgot--we do have beauty pagents!) Anyway...I was just wondering...what would be the breed characteristics of the Melungeon family? I think if we set some standards now then we all have something to aspire to...but well, unfortunately, we will have to disqualify some people.

3 Comments:

Blogger DougieB said...

we can't all be a part of this personal breeding standard - Hence the marrying in.

11:46 PM

 
Blogger Queen Sarapatra said...

well, I heard that Melungeons are magnetically drawn to each other, so you may have Melungeon blood that you are not aware of. I did some research into Hamdy's family and found out that his great great grandfather was actually a black Jewish Turkish hillbilly who secretly brewed moonshine in a coal mine in Appalachia. It is quite a story how he ended up in Egypt! I'll have to tell you that one another time! So...you might be surprised what you find in your own histoy. You have already displayed a certain Melungeonness just by being attracted to another Melungeon.

10:43 AM

 
Blogger Eliza said...

I read one article which suggested that the physical evidence of melungeon heritage was found in one's "swarthy family complexion." I hereby make a motion to include the word "swarthy" in our description of melungeon breed standards.

5:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home