Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What to do with a crazy neighbor

We now know why the people that lived in our house decided to move--we have a crazy neighbor. Yes, crazier than some of those Schurch cousins (you know who I mean) and crazier than our gun handling, copperhead eating, tick bitten Appalachian cousins. I'll refer to him as "Chuck." He's in his mid forties, balding, small pot belly, and talks in a very LOUD voice. He's a former druggy that found Jesus and now offers Christian counseling in his home.

The whole situation is just too long to write, but the gist of it is that we are currently having "World War III" (his words, not mine) over our property line with him. When we first moved in, he felt he had the liberty to walk over on our property any time he wanted, as well as let his dog run over into our land and poop on it. He also put decorate bricks and plants that went over into our property by several feet. We might have been okay with this if he was a rational person that we could talk to, but he's not. He was very upset that Hamdy trimmed some tree branches from a tree that straddles our property line, even though we had asked him before and he said it was okay. He's now claiming that Hamdy stole flowers from his backyard to plant in our yard. His actions have included a lot of swearing as well as a few racial remarks toward Hamdy being Arab. He's also tried to turn other neighbors against us (although they pretty much ignore him)

It has all been a bit stressful and Hamdy and I are actually forking out $550 to get an official stake survey done so that there is no question at all concerning where the exact property line is. I also took another neighbor with me to his house last night and talked to his wife and tried to make peace with her. That went well, so I'm hoping to sit down and try to talk to Chuck today. I just don't want to live in this kind of conflict with neighbors.

The really scary thing is that this guy after coming into our yard and swearing at us, goes back into his house and provides Christian counseling to his clients!!!!! He also works for the community mental health.

Anyway, do come to visit and you can meet Chuck. He's sure to offer some evening entertainment.

4 Comments:

Blogger SanFranFresca said...

Wowza!!! Good luck with that!

3:27 PM

 
Blogger Eliza said...

Three cheers for sarapatra the middle man--I'm not sure if I'd have the chutzpah to confront a crazy neighbor!

6:30 PM

 
Blogger SanFranFresca said...

after some thought...here's my real advice. After you find out what the true property line is put up a privacy fence...and fast! And I think confronting a crazy neighbor is beyond middle man status...that is straight up bold! When did you get back from Egypt? How was it?

10:10 PM

 
Blogger Queen Sarapatra said...

I got back from Egypt last Saturday. I've been busy dealing with the neighbor situation and the fact that AAA wants to cancel our home owner's insurance because we have two barely curled shingles on the back porch roof. Crazy people. Anyway, Egypt was good--a bit exhausting at times staying with Hamdy's family, but overall good. I'll post a blog now about my weekend trip to the desert--I sent it as an e-mail earlier because I was having problems using the blog while I was in Egypt. Check it later this afternoon.

1:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home