Tuesday, January 31, 2006

You know you've survived christian culture if....

-You've ever thrown out all your "secular" c.d.'s...only to replace them a year later
-Your vocabulary has ever been peppered with words like "burden" or "fellowship"
-For graduation you received a Thomas Kincaid painting
-You've actually tried a pack of testamints
-You wash your car with a t-shirt that says "GAP-God Answers Prayer"

I am reading a pretty funny book right now called" The Christian Culture survivial guide. The misadventures of an outsider on the inside." especially funny for those of us with the upbringing of the "independent, fundamental, your-going-to-hell-if-your-not-baptist, Baptist". So far I'd put it on as a Danielle pick. Here's a bit more for now...

TELL-TALE SIGNS YOUR ABOUT TO ENCOUNTER AN "OLD-FASHIONED" MEETING WITH THE ALTER.
-If the pastor closes his sermon with "I want every head bowed and every eye closed-I want no looking around. "This sign is biggie! My advice? Do exactley what the preacher tells you to do.
-If there is lots of rustling around by individuals who have "alter call" responsibilities (i.e., deacons, musicions, singers, and ushers will probably be scurrying around to get into position.) These people will be looking down at their feet as if you can't see them as they walk over your toes and into the aisle.
-If you here the word "stanza"
-If you here the pastor say "I see that hand" as they look around the room for potential converts.
-If the song during your alter call begins with the words "just" or "all." If this happens, you are definatley in the midst of an altar call. Just hum along if you don't know the words.

7 Comments:

Blogger DougieB said...

i've heard of this book, it looked absolutely great... and frightening in the way my entire upbringing can seemingly be boiled down to a paragraph or three. Heaven help us...

1:37 PM

 
Blogger Queen Sarapatra said...

hmmm...it reminded me of when I was in eighth grade and I decided to throw out all my secular CDs like Dr. Dre and Tori Amos, etc. I threw them into this fort in the woods beside my house. As far as I know, they are still buried there! I'm sure a thousand years from now, some archaeologist will dig them up, and everyone will be doing linguistic analyses on the lyrics of Dr. Dre.

9:39 PM

 
Blogger J said...

Well, looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend -- going to Uncle Mike's for an archaeological dig. See what else we'll find.

10:38 PM

 
Blogger SanFranFresca said...

I know...that's why it is funny to me,because it was my life!!, as if the author went to Union Baptist church in Richwood Ohio.
And on the other comment- I now know what I'll be doing this July in Middleville....an archeological dig perhaps.

10:41 PM

 
Blogger SanFranFresca said...

Sorry J-dollar...I didn't read your comment before I posted mine...Just leave the Dr. Dre, you know how I am with my rap music.

10:43 PM

 
Blogger J said...

No way -- Dr. Dre is mine.

If I find Sara's "Menace to Society" video or any FILA shoes, I'll send them your way though.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger DougieB said...

Was there any Ace of Base?

they rock hard.

12:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home