Thursday, March 23, 2006

oh donny miller!

Well this evening the husband and I ventured out to Cedarville University....you know typical christian college, lots of white kids wearing khakis and Doc Martens. The reason...An evening with Donald Miller. If you have not heard him speak and get a chance I would highly recomend it. He read a chapter of his new book which sounds hilarious. He also talked about his foundation which helps single moms and kids growing up without dads. He gave the stat that 85% of men in jail came from homes that there was no father and they really want to try to change that "and if that gets to hard we'll just introduce the kids that do have dads to drugs, cause we just want to change that stat" Some of the highlights for me we're watching the 70 year old couple(that I'm sure had know idea who Donald Miller was and probably are alum that come to all events at the college) who scowled everytime Donald said a word like lesbian, pothead, sex, pour some sugar on me.....in the ministry center. Although I did see the wife laugh a few times and believe me she will here about it later! I also highly enjoyed the scruffy faced college guy who sat by Billy.....he was barefoot(I'm sure there we're a pair of moccasins somwhere under the pew) Who laughed crazy loud and actually curled in the fetal position and fell forward laughing while screaming out yes in approval. There was a book signing after and I so badly wanted to wait in line and slip him cousin Danara's phone number but as always Billy Bed-time was hankering for his pillow......so it will have to be fate that brings Donald and Danara togethor....it will have to be fate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen Sarapatra said...

I was reading up on this guy and found that you can download the first chapter of his book here--I like his whole Cosby bit.
http://www.donaldmillerwords.com/dragon/dragonexcerpt.pdf

9:37 AM

 
Blogger Eliza said...

I heard Donald Miller speak a few months ago. What I loved most about him was that he wasn't a hipster. He wasn't this trendy glasses wearing, black goatie, inserting lots of thoughtful "hmmm"s everywhere in his talk. He was a really average guy in an oversized sweater. Even his talk was just him giving his opinions, not some sort of master-crafted performance with an alter call. But it was intelligent and honest. And when he read the forward from Through Painted Deserts, it was amazing to hear it the way he meant his prose to be read. I would accept him as a cousin council member in a heartbeat.

12:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home